Light news day on the weekend...
Glenn Greenwald ponders the growing Iranian military behemoth with it's $7 billion annual defense budget and how Iran has us right where they want us: completely surrounding them from every side. Those devious bastards. (@ggreenwald)
"Residents said Syrian forces began shelling homs around 8 pm. They said at least 36 houses destroyed with families inside, 200+ killed" (@richardengelnbc)
"Eviction imminent at #OccupyDC, one of the last big Occupy sites? WashPost's @michaelbolden & @anniegowen are live-tweeting police activity." (@brianstelter)
"Tunis expels syrian ambassador, more may follow, reports" (@richardengelnbc)
Indiana Secretary of State Charlie White was convicted of six felonies this morning (and subsequently fired by law) including three counts of voter fraud and one count of lying under oath. He could be jailed for as little as three years, or as many as 18. He's begging a judge to reduce all his convictions so that he can get his Secretary of State job back. Indiana's governor, Mitch Daniels, seems to have no problem with that happening. They are both Republicans. (@steventdennis)
Real Clear Politics has President Obama leading Mitt Romney by 1.8 points in its national tracking poll. Obama leads Newt Gingrich by 11.8 points, Rick Santorum by 9.3 points, and Ron Paul by 4.4 points.
What the media isn't telling you: Maine is caucusing today.
100,000 people filled the streets of Moscow in sub-zero temperatures to protest Prime Minister Putin and to call for free and democratic elections. (Telegraph)
Paul Krugman recounts a number of predictions made by Keynesians three years ago and compares them to what actually happened. Spoiler: the Keynesians got basically everything right. (New York Times)
Nevada entrance polling shows that most Republicans care most about which candidate can beat President Obama, as opposed to, say, who would do the best job leading the country. Other data shows that as much as 75% of caucus'ers tonight say they support the Tea Party, meaning that not only do primaries tell us nothing about how a state or the country will vote in the general, this one won't even tell us how Republicans will vote when they are drunk. (CBS News)
41% say Donald Trumps endorsement of Mitt Romney makes them like him just a little bit less. 9.6% like Mittens a little bit more. 49% don't give a fuck. (NY Daily News)
Things you don't often see in the American media: Iran is working seven-way negotiations to bring their nuclear program under the IAEA, a well respected international organization which said Iraq didn't have a nuclear program right before the Bush administration kicked them out of the country and invaded it. (Wall Street Journal)
77% of civilian casualties in Afghanistan in 2011 were people killed by the Taliban, says the U.N. What probably won't get a lot of play in the U.S. media: the other 23% were killed by the Afghanistan government and American military. That's one 9/11 every seven years by allied hands, or one per year overall. Can you taste the freedom? (Miami Herald)
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R/D/I) offered a $250,000 matching donation to Planned Parenthood in the wake of the SGK fiasco, is calling for new gun control regs, and donated almost a quarter of a billion dollars to charity in 2009. What an asshole. (Chicago Tribune)